Tuesday, January 24, 2006

And now you're cooking . . .

Blissfully productive day today. I think the first full day of sunshine in weeks helped my energy levels. I woke up at 6AM and then started on some household cleaning. The guys from Macy's came with a new dresser and I had moved furniture around the house to accommodate the new piece. Then I had to move all the furniture back. I did the laundry, washed the dishes, vacuumed (the furniture guys had very dirty shoes), took care of the dog (Jake's sick), and then settled in to some grading. I even had time to take Jake to the park and go to the gym for two hours.

Currently, I'm battling a new batch of student poems. They don't title their stuff and it bugs me for some reason.

2 comments:

Joseph Duemer said...

No titles because poems are not objects to them but a process? Not necessarily a bad sign, though it might be that poems are just the result of being poetic, which I at least would find troubling.

Oliver de la Paz said...

Joseph, it's that they're writing these untitled poems that are cryptograms. In other words, the titles would serve as a grounding mechanism for poems they've written that are quite enigmatic. Anyway, they're pretty receptive to my "Title?" comment. Hopefully it sticks.