Monday, April 23, 2007

Mowing the Lawn to Poetry

I received my iPod filled with poems From the Fishouse. A few statements:


1) There needs to be a volume control on two-cycle engines.

2) Contemporary poetry is alive, well, and kicking ass.


***

Saturday, I made my way down to Seattle to see a few of the Cave Canem poets read at the Seattle Poetry Festival. The wonderful Lauri Conner, Gloria Burgess, Camille Dungy, and Adrian Matejka were in the house.

They gave a splendid reading and after, Lauri was kind enough to invite us over to here wonderful house. I did take pictures, but they didn't come out very well.

Also alas, I couldn't be two places at once, so I had to choose between Bruce Beasley and Suzanne Paola, my WWU colleagues, and the CC poets. Bruce, Suzanne, if you're reading this, I'm sorry!

Also alas alas, I missed hearing Peter and Jeannine.

***

Heading over to Whidbey Island on the 28th to read at the Burning Word poetry festival:

Paul Gillie Stage, Main Barn
Session 1: 10:00 am - 11:10 am
Karen Bonaudi, MC
Toni Bajado
Bruce Beasley
A Pair of Pearls from Portland:
Cindy Williams Gutierrez
Willa Schneberg
Oliver de la Paz

Yeah, I know. Pretty damn early.

No comments: