Tuesday, August 31, 2004

The beginning of the school year

It's the start of the new semester. I had to wake up very early this morning . . . 6:30AM early. Anyway, I've always dreaded the coming of the new semester, but once it starts up, I get into a good solid rhythm of writing, reading, grading, and exercising. I think I need the structure.

In fact, it was rather hard generating work this Summer in what was a relatively structureless season. But now, with the onset of these early morning classes and full schedules, I'm making more time to read, write, and think about poetry.

I had my first class this morning. It was in Introduction to Poetry course. I get a lot of students returning to my classes which is both good and bad. On the one hand it makes it easier to remember the names. On the other hand, you can't reissue the same old assignments. So I'll have to put away my crusty old assignments and generate some new ones. This of course will make me a better person, right?

A

No comments: