Thursday, June 07, 2007

On top of . . .

. . . finishing up the quarter, we've been asked to pack up our offices. They're renovating my floor of the building, installing some badly needed carpeting and seismic bookshelves. Anyway, I'm one of the few who's already packed and ready to go. Of course, I hadn't brought all the books I had originally intended to bring to the office since I knew about the renovations. My colleagues are scurrying about. Every so often, you'll hear the stretch-scream of packing tape being unrolled.

***

Today's the last day of teaching for me, excluding finals. Yay me!

***

So for some reason they've let Paris out of jail. What's even more puzzling? Why I even know this . . .

***

I hear the sound of a chainsaw motor humming. That'll be me this weekend. Our neighbor, R, who was kind enough to down some of our problem trees, has left me the chore of de-limbing the beasties. I've got to get it all prepped before my mother-in-law comes on Tuesday.

***

I'm tired. My left eye has the "winkies."

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I have NO idea how Hilton escaped from jail but I'm PISSED!

I am going to research this today, even before I do the hundred other things I really need to do, because it is vital for my own personal well-being to get to the bottom of this grave injustice.

I'll let you know what I find . . .

Unknown said...

"The frenzy began early Thursday when sheriff's officials released Hilton because of an undisclosed medical condition and sent her home under house arrest. She had been in jail since late Sunday."

Medical condition?

Spoiled brat is NOT a medical condition.

Oliver de la Paz said...

Oh brother. So now she's throwing a hissy fit because she's being sent back to jail. Granted, the court of public opinion should not be a place for the judge and sheriff to conduct their personal war, but the bottom line is that Paris should still serve her time.

Cecilia Manguerra Brainard said...

I don't have your email addie. I hope you can submit:
This is a call for submissions of short stories for an anthology tentatively titled, GROWING UP FILIPINO II – Stories for Young Adults. The book will be edited by Cecilia Manguerra Brainard and will be published by both Anvil and PALH. Contributors will receive copies of the book as compensation for the use of their work.

The manuscript should be approximately 8-10 pages long, typed, double-spaced (approximately 1,800-2,300 words). This should be emailed to CBrainard@aol.com. You may also send it by air mail to:

Cecilia Brainard
c/o PALH
PO Box 5099
Santa Monica, CA 90409
USA

This book project is a follow-up of an earlier short story collection entitled Growing Up Filipino: Stories for Young Adults (published by PALH 2002, and Anvil).