Friday, October 12, 2007

Manicotti

Someone will be delivering a frozen manicotti to my office. I'm very excited for this. It is a good beacon for these dark Fall days.

***

I've been getting rejection notes. This is to be expected. So far, three.

***

The first reading from my book takes place on Monday at 7:00PM at Village Books in Bellingham. I'm kind of weirded out by the whole thing.

I haven't even scanned through the poems in the book yet. I'm not sure what I'm going to read. Any suggestions? I'm guessing my not looking at the book apart from gazing at the cover is a normal thing, yes?

***

I finished playing Halo 3's single player campaign. I am cool.

7 comments:

Andrew Shields said...

Read the poems on the pages with prime numbers.

Oliver de la Paz said...

You know . . . that's actually not a bad idea!

helene said...

Hour of Dawn
Hush
My Dearest Recklessness,

Have a great reading!

John Gallaher said...

Which reminds me, I've just placed Furious Lullaby on my order form. I'll not actually order it until November, but it's there!

Looking forward...

Oliver de la Paz said...

Aye aye, Helene.

And thanks, John! Likewise, The Little Book of Guesses arrived here last week. I can't wait to dig in.

Justin Evans said...

Start with a poem you admire, written by someone else. I always start with Dave Lee's "Cloudburst, With Ducklings at the Pond's Inlet." It's a welcoming poem about friendship. It's short, and easy to remember.

I always feel starting with someone else's poem lets the audience know that poetry, rather than the poet should be foremost intheir minds.

Of your poems, I would like to hear you read:

"My Dearest Recklessness"

"Aubade with Starlings and Kerosene Muted by glass"

"My Dearest Apostasy"

Rebecca Mabanglo-Mayor said...

Drat! I won't be back from Seattle in time to see you read!

I hope Village will still have copies of your book avail after your reading.

Break a leg!