Monday, October 15, 2007

Set List

So as I mentioned earlier, the very first reading from Furious Lullaby will be tonight. I'm contending with a weird issue at the moment. . .

If one is promoting a new book, is it bad to read new stuff not in the book?

And if it's not a good time, when is a good time to "move on" so to speak?

Anyway, books are often anachronisms, and I wonder if a more accurate display of time as it pertains to a writing life would be to read from a range of projects (yes, I'm trying to justify reading new work).

***

Suddenly obsessed with football. The Seahawks are faring miserably and have, perhaps, exceeded their shelf-life as a viable contender. It's sad, too, because my favorite workhorse player, Mack Strong, had a spinal cord injury (I heard he broke his neck) last week and had to retire.

Such a violent sport.

***

Meredith and I purchased a new front loading washer and dryer set this weekend to celebrate our second anniversary. It only gets better from here. ;-) XOXO

6 comments:

OBermeo said...

best of luck at yr reading tonight!

as an audience member, i am always a fan of the new stuff. makes me feel like some history is happening right in my midst. ya know?

also, planning on doing any cover poems?

Anonymous said...

I have seen authors read from the work in question and then at the end say they would like to share from their upcoming work. I think it is an extra treat for listeners.

Hope you and Jake (and Meredith--I just rarely saw her) are well, or at least better than me right now!

Oliver de la Paz said...

Hey Oscar and Teri,

No, I generally don't read cover poems 'cause I'm afraid I'll do a disservice to them. Galway Kinnell did some of the best "cover" readings that I've ever heard . . . I don't think I have his deep voice.

So I suppose I'll read some new stuff. Thanks for your advice. Jake and Mere are well, Teri. We just finished a one and a half hour run through the pouring rain and he loved every minute of it.

Please, take care of yourself!

Anne Haines said...

I agree -- if you want to read new stuff, read new stuff. If nothing else, it makes the statement that this book ain't the end of it! :) Break a leg--

Lee Herrick said...

Good vibes for your reading tonight, Oliver. Enjoy.

Peter said...

Lately I've been reading 3-5 new poems first, then going to reading from the new book.
It's helped me to warm up with newer material, as I am so familiar with the book poems by now.
And then I can alter the book reading based on the energy I am perceiving from the audience.

Hope to make it to one of your readings!