Friday, July 02, 2004

Rain and Brando

It rained all last night which made Jake, the German Shorthair Pointer, sleep soundly. We watched "Mystic River" last night on DVD. It's one of my three Netflix movies this week. It actually kept me awake last night. Let's see, I went to bed around 1:00AM, and then I woke up around 3:30AM thinking about the families in the movie, the couple-relationships in the movie, and that Lady Macbeth-like speech by Laura Linney towards the end. Jake was unfazed by all of this.

When I woke, I found out that Marlon Brando had passed away in Los Angeles at the age of 80. Brando always reminded my of my Uncle Amador in the Philippines. In fact, Uncle Amador looks like him physically, in speech, and in mannerism. There was always something about Brando's eyes that the camera loved. In the "Godfather", the fact that you can't see his eyes in a number of key scenes makes the character of Don Corleone so much more menacing. And in "Apocalypse Now", it's the fact that Col. Kurtz's eyes are so clear during his moment of epiphany . . . He was such a wonderful actor.



Marlon Brando 1924-2004

No comments: