Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Being a Bad Blogger and Reasons Why

When I started this blog, I thought I'd be profound. I thought I'd share you some thoughts about poetry, life, other stuff.

That didn't last.

The truth of it is I get tired of thinking about poetry. In the ten to fifteen minutes I take to blog, I generally think about things outside of poetry because, frankly, I think about poetry every day for long stretches of time.

***

I bought lots of poetry books and my wife doesn't know.

***

Alas, I'm teaching summer school because I need $$. Sign up for my classes, will you?

***

I've been thinking about preparing for a mini-book tour. I don't think I did a good job of this when Furious Lullaby came out in 2007. Around that time, we found out that we were going to have a baby.

Well guess what . . . 2009 I'm in the same predicament. I wrote a book. It got published. We're going to have another baby.

I've decided to stop writing books because of the repercussions.

***

So there you have it . . . the real reason why I've been a bad blogger. I've got stuff on my mind that I wasn't exactly prepared to share with the world. So now I've told my secrets, what about yours?

***

Currently eating a very weird "taco salad" wrap prepared by campus food services.

***

I also just appealed a gigantic parking ticket. I know I was parked in the right zone. Perhaps I should take pictures . . . gather witnesses.

***

Current Spin: Rabbit Light Movies. It's not really a spin, but I've been watching all the videos.

15 comments:

Susan Allspaw Pomeroy said...

Many congratulations to you and Mere on the baby. You are not a bad blogger (by comparison). You bought lots of poetry books before AWP?

And I told Marc he wasn't allowed to go back to New Zealand ever, because the two times in a row he went, I found out I was pregnant. But in your case, I'd risk writing more books.

C. Dale said...

Congrats! Wonderful news all around.

Matthew said...

congrats on the good news! babies and books go well together.

Jeannine said...

Congrats Oliver!

Anonymous said...

Great news, Oliver!

Kelli Russell Agodon - Book of Kells said...

Congrats, Oliver! How exciting! Good to know about the books and babies connections!

January said...

You just slipped that baby news right in there! Congrats on the baby and the book. :) Yea!

Suzanne said...

Congratulations!!!

Gary L. McDowell said...

Congratulations, Oliver! I hope you keep writing poems (books of them, hopefully)... though feeding 15 kids on a poet's royalties might be tough.... Haha! Congrats again!

Oliver de la Paz said...

Jan, I'm sly like that.

Joannie Stangeland said...

Wow! Congratulations to you all on that baby news (especially L.).

Wendy Wisner said...

Great news! Congrats.

Lee Herrick said...

Congratulations on your news, Oliver! It's tough to blog. Hope your new year is going well. Let me know if you're in California again any time soon.

Jeremy said...

Good luck with your parking ticket. Fight the power!

Collin Kelley said...

Congrats on the new bambino!