Monday, November 22, 2004

The Big Push

It's the week of Thanksgiving vacation and in academia, it's the time when classes are gearing up for the big push into the final home stretch.

This past week I had a barrage of things to correct and hand back to my students. Fortunately, I had the foresight to have all the major products come due last week so that I can have an actual break during Thanksgiving.

Here's what I intend to do:

1. Finish The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time

2. Watch lots of football

3. Cook a huge vat of garlic mashed potatos to bring to a Turkey Day party

4. Calculate some student grades (so it's not so overwhelming come the end of the semester)

5. Watch many movies, including Ray, Alfie, Alexsander, and other films with names in the titles.

6. Sleep. Sleep lots.

7. Organize my bookshelf

8. Organize my CD cases

9. Organize my life

4 comments:

Susan Allspaw Pomeroy said...

O--

7 and 8 equal 9. You will never have your books and CDs organized. But I love you for trying. When you're done with yours, please come over and take care of mine. Gertrude Stein is rubbing noses with Robert Creeley, and I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Oliver de la Paz said...

Stein and Creeley together in a bookcase is not so bad. Try Valentine's "Dream Barker" and Norman Dubie's "Mercy Seat" filed right next to each other. Weirder combinations include Cummings and Levine, Sze and Weigl.

*sigh*

I have too many books. My name is Oliver de la Paz and I'm a book lover.

Rona Fernandez said...

I thought 'Ray' was fascinating. Interested to hear what you think. Jamie Foxx is sooooo underrated.

And, I think the correct language is that you are a book addict. But there should never be a 12-step program to cure one of book addiction.

Oliver de la Paz said...

Rona, it's only an addiction when I ADMIT it's an addiction.

Right now it's a scorching affair. That's all. I can quit any time, really . . .