Wednesday, January 26, 2005

A dog loose in the neighborhood

I walked Jake this morning, before school, and a stray dog followed us home. It was a funny-looking dog. She had the coloring of a German Shepherd, but she had a patch of white under her chest and really floppy ears. She'd jump from snow bank to snow bank while Jake whimpered. I wanted to bring her in because it was cold.

This morning wasn't the first time I had seen her. She's a bit of a ghost in our neighborhood, prowling around at night, tipping over garbage cans and tearing up the trash bags left out for collection on Wednesday. It was the aftermath of a garbage night so that's probably why she was around the neighborhood this morning.

I let her get a whiff of Jake and vice versa. She was really skittish. She'd come up, paw Jake on the neck, and then recoil as soon as Jake would make a move or as soon as I said something.

I was running late from all the commotion, so I had to drag my reluctant dog into the house. The stray just stood outside our door, watching us go up the stairs. Maybe she'll come around this afternoon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

how sad, and you didn't call the dog pound!

Oliver de la Paz said...

The dog pound in this area is notorious for euthanising dogs. Anyway, I think she has an owner, but she has no tags. She always wanders this particular neighborhood and I have seen her with kids.


:-( Now I feel bad.