Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Good Readers

I just finished up commenting on a friend's manuscript and I was surprised that she said she had never had so much feedback before. I actually felt like I didn't give her enough (3 pages, typed).

Often, I just call the friend who's sent the manuscript and we talk, which works too.

Maybe I've been spoiled, but I'm used to getting, say 2-3 pages of typed feedback from friends who've read my manuscripts. Now, I know not to expect that all the time, but it's happened enough times for me.

I've also gotten some good feedback on poems . . . not 2-3 pages, mind you, but lots of annotation. So I'm curious . . . what's the most feedback you've gotten on, say a manuscript of poems? I know it's a vague question, especially if feedback came in the form of conversations, but maybe you can distill that to a number--like an hour conversation, for example.

***

My parents are coming tomorrow. Yippee! Mere n' I would LOVE to be able to go to a restaurant without having to get up at least 3 or 4 times a meal.

***

Noticing some very bad habits with the poem-a-day thing. I've fallen in love with the catalog and I need to "break up" with it. So I'm reading lots and lots of long narrativish (yes, I know that's not a word) poetry.

***

Unseasonable weather. It's been in the mid to low 60's and rainy. Good for the dogwoods I planted. Bad for my bald head.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ollie, good question about manuscript readers. I can't tell you how much commentary I've gotten on manuscripts after grad school, but I can tell you I have given a poet somewhere between 5-8 typed, single spaced pages of notes on a ~48 page manuscript. Then again, this poet was looking for not only page by page critique, but line by line.

I've also had maybe a 1-2 hour conversation re: another poet's ms, which was somewhere ~80 pages.

Oliver de la Paz said...

LINE BY LINE? Omg.

Saint Barbara Jane. ;-) Seriously, very generous of you. I don't think I would be able to do that . . .