Sunday, December 07, 2008

R.I.P. Odetta



Odetta's rendition of "Water Boy."

***

Had a big party at the homestead. I "brewed" my homemade chili and my mother fried her famous eggrolls. Other folks brought a variety of foods. All told, I think we had over 40 people over at our place. Good times.

***

My family was very excited about the de la Hoya vs. Pacquiao fight.

And while I was interested in the fight for mostly cultural reasons, I could not bring myself to shell out the $55 needed for the cable package. Still, I've been getting text messages from friends and some family about the fight.

He is the first Filipino and Asian boxer to win four world titles in different weight divisions. He took over as the Ring Magazine pound for pound number one ranked boxer in the world on June 9, 2008 after Floyd Mayweather, Jr. announced his retirement from boxing.

***

I'll post more on my manuscript structuring philosophies/thoughts. It's the weekend and I need a break.

***

Current spins: Blackstar f. Common.

Current reads: Jack Gilbert's The Great Fires: Poems, 1982-1992.

***

Ha! WV=scangon

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your mom made those egg rolls? I didn't know--please tell her they were AWESOME and were much enjoyed by yrs. truly, Nancy P.