Thursday, January 15, 2009

Favorite things

The very excellent writer and my colleague, Carol Guess, has a playlist on one of my favorite music and culture blogs, Largehearted Boy.

Not only is she an excellent writer, but she has great taste in music.

***

Among my most favorite things is my around-ear noise cancelling headphones. Now, this isn't the model I have, but it's the model I'd love. Anyway, they're fabulous to have when either grading or writing.

***

I love Lumpia.

***

And I love it when a writing project is going well . . . unfortunately, here's where my love-fest ends. I'm totally stuck.

While putting out that table of contents was a useful exercise, I see gaping holes that need to be addressed--such pursuits require time (which I don't have). Two weeks is all I ask . . .

***

Meredith is encouraging me to apply to Breadloaf and Sewanee.

I've been applying to Breadloaf for some time, lost my eligibility for fellowships 'cause my first book had been out too long, and now I can reapply with my second book. I've never applied to Sewanee. Anyway, I'm feeling guilty about leaving the family for such a long stretch, but if Meredith is giving me the thumbs up, then I better apply.

***

Current Spins:

Jeff Hanson. At first, I thought this was sung by a woman. My goodness, that voice.

3 comments:

marybid said...

I am going to lose my mind if I don't get some lumpia soon! Between this post, and my cousin and my aunt bragging about making lumpia, my cravings are off the chart.

I may just have to steal their recipe...

verification: upeatili

Oliver de la Paz said...

I have the "rolled gold" in my freezer. Come on over and I'll fry some up!

Matthew Thorburn said...

Hi Oliver, I went to Sewanee last year and highly recommend it. For me it was a really helpful "recharging" experience, though I wasn't able to do any actual writing there at all. (On the other hand, Sandra Beasley was there and she somehow managed to write a sestina a day!) I'd also recommend two weeks at a writer's colony -- which I haven't yet been able to do myself, but would love to.

Lumpia sounds great. I'll have to find some. Must be available somewhere in NYC...