Saturday, October 03, 2009

Something New

New stuff up on a new online journal here: Connotations Press.

Some of the newer work that I had been wrestling with this past August.

***

It's 11PM and I'm tired and hungry. I spent the better part of two hours catching up on paperwork. I think I'm caught up with most of the non-teaching stuff. The teaching stuff will have to wait till tomorrow and Sunday.

I pretty much spent the whole day taking care of a teething child who wanted to run outside in the rain. Not fun, but I can't blame him. There ain't a whole lot to do over here.

***

Heard from our lumberjack. Was that last sentence startling for you? Yes, we have a lumberjack we've hired to do some cutting around our property. He's pretty much clear-cut the trees from the front of our house, the sides of our house, and the back of our house. Well, clear-cut is a bit extreme. He's selectively cut the trees that were a danger to our well-being. It's amazing how fast they grow here in the NW. When we first moved into our house three years ago, there was a fir that was about waist high. Now it's three feet taller than me. Stuff that's too close to the house has to go, what with the crazy winds that we get between Fall and Winter.

Anyway, the lumberjack . . . he called. Seems he tore his MCL and will be out for two months. Meanwhile, the clean-up job in his aftermath is quite daunting. We'll definitely have to hire an excavator.

All this boring rural talk amounts to something--I'm clearing land for a vegetable garden and a poetry shed/office. I've had dreams of a little poetry shed, complete with a window or two, electricity, and big enough for an overstuffed easy chair, a few bookshelves, and a desk. The vegetable garden would be neat, too.

***

Current Spin:

The Postmarks. Saccharine is good in small doses.

4 comments:

Keith Montesano said...

Those Nocturnes are awesome.

I don't know how you're simultaneously prolific and successful, but I have a feeling talent has the reigns on this one.

Oliver de la Paz said...

Thanks Keith.

Having a spouse who understands and gives you the time to write . . . that helps a lot.

Gary L. McDowell said...

Beautiful poems, Oliver. The interview is nice, too.

Anonymous said...

Nice photo, cranky face. I'm enjoying seeing your poems twist and turn. --Papatya